Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bruins at Flyers - Hockey Leage Week #4 - Game 5

Since I have failed to mention it previously, the name of the team in which I'm playing is the Bruins. This week's game was a rematch of game 4 when we took on the Flyers. If you recall from last week, they were the masters of cherry picking and had some phenomenal stick handling abilities. What a difference a week can make. I don't know if we were more on our game this week, or if it was because we knew what to expect from this team, or if it had to do with our goalie this week, but we managed to pull out a decisive win (6-4). This week takes us one game closer to .500.

I've talked about this goalie previously. He was our goalie for game 3. Somehow, by some luck of fate, he is now our permanent goalie. I have a feeling that from this point on, we're going to be a force to recon with for the rest of the season. However, a good goalie doesn't ensure that the team will be good. We still need to be on our game to get the puck past the other team's goalie. I guess time will tell how we fair.

This week's game was a bit shaky at times. There are a few guys on the team that are exceptional puck handlers. However, with this type greatness comes the apparent need to prove it all the time. The guys with the best puck handling abilities have a tendency to be the guys that pass the least. That is one thing that the Flyers have done very well around us. They pass well on the flat, they pass well in traffic, they sometimes seem to pass too much (but that only comes when they are not cherry picking). I am not complaining about the guys on my team that do the fancy work because they are our play makers. I am just saying that I think that they could still be the play makers but include the rest of the team on the action at times. There are certainly times that it could be justified. Odd man rushes and breakaways certainly qualify, and they do occur, but there are times when there are even man rushes that they still try to be a play maker when they could have passed off.

As for my game play, I felt that I was able to contribute to the team's play most of the time that I was on the court. However, there was one time that I fell back on a play in which other team did manage to score. I'm not sure how badly my drop contributed to that goal since I was being outstrided anyway.

In the tradition of the past few weeks, I did have another personal issue this week, however, this week it was not an injury. Right before the game started, I busted the velcro securing strap on my left skate which put excess pressure on the ratchet strap. I've been having ratchet strap issues with either skate for the past two or three weeks. In that play I mentioned previously was right off of a face-off after a line change. As soon as I was over the boards, my left ratchet strap released. Therefore, I had only tape holding my left foot in my skate. We won the face-off and I was able to make a pass to allow a shot on goal, but the Flyers picked up the rebound. I tried to chase down the play, but I only had one skate that I could push with. Without the ankle support on my left foot left me only to ride on that foot. Therefore, because of these two issues, it is time to retire the skates and buy new ones.

Aside from that specific play where I had my "wardrobe malfunction", there were several plays were I was able to be a team player. I managed to get two shots on goal tonight. Of the two shots, one of them was deflected in route and almost beat the unsuspecting goalie. Unfortunately, once it hit his field of vision, it was close enough to him that it was an easy recovery. There were several open court plays that I was able to stand up against the incoming forward and steal the puck and was able to move the puck into our direction. Unfortunately, I don't recall any of those plays leading to a goal, but it certainly stopped a goal from being scored against us.

Well, in closing, next week should be interesting. Interesting for more than one reason. Not only will I be buying new skates and having very little time for breaking them in, I will be driving home from Pittsburgh on Sunday. Yes, I will be in da'burgh from some point on Thursday until Sunday. I plan on leaving Pittsburgh early Sunday morning to ensure that I am able to be home in enough time to play in my game. As any of you know that have made that drive. Once you get to your destination, physical activity is the last thing you want to do. Typically there are only a select activities that are expected; sleep and/or food. And after my lack-luster play last week after playing Army and a two and a half hour drive, this should be interesting. So, for those of you that read our blog and I haven't told already, this is your notification that I will be in town for a few days.

No comments: