Sunday, February 1, 2009

Re-Introduction to Console Gaming - Wii

So, this year for Christmas, we decided to do something different. Instead of each of us buying the other something, we chose to buy us something for us. We're now the new, proud owners of a Nintendo Wii system. Also, since it is such a big ticket item, it was certainly something we wouldn't have purchased otherwise.

Although, once we got the system home and started playing it, I quickly decided that it was a shame that I had waited so long to get one. The interface is engaging enough to be fun and not so complex to exclude new gamers. I guess that is the core reason why it is doing so well across all age brackets.

As far as games go, our collect is still relatively small. We started out with Wii Sports (came with the system), Rayman 2, and Wii Party. Generally speaking, each of these games are group games. Rayman and Wii Party are designed to be played socially. There isn't much to them in regards to single player appeal.

Wii Sports is fun solo or in number. However, I've only taken to tennis and bowling. The golf seemed to be overly simplistic and unrealistic with my "real" golf swing and boxing was just utterly frustrating. I guess boxing may be more fun with other people, but I just didn't get the bug for it solo.

I furthered our game collection with Dream Pinball and Super Swing Golf. Dream Pinball is not a gamers game. It is just what it advertises: pinball. However, in their design of the game, they must not have been pinball players. Not all of the boards have "missions" like modern tables do. I frequently got the feeling that I was just smacking the ball around to get points with no real objective other than a high score. I'm sorry, but score is not all that the game is about. It is the skill of being able to manage the table to complete the tasks before you. Well, that game's appeal was quickly lost when on my first attempt at one of the tables finished out at over 1 billion. At that point, Angel didn't want to play any more that day.

As for Super Swing Golf, this one is interesting. It is also one of those games that has multiplayer appeal. The controls are available as motion detection or button timing. For multiplayer, motion detection is certainly the way to go. For single player, not so much. In order to be even remotely competitive with the bots, you have to go for button timing. The motion detection controls are just not consistent enough, as you might imagine. I also found the motion detection method frustrating, even more so than Wii Sports golf. Super Swing Golf tried to make the feel of a real swing tie into the game. You can do a whole bunch of things with your wrists to affect the flight of the ball. However, the power bar doesn't use speed as a determining factor but rotation. The farther you pull the wiimote back and above your head, the more power you will put on it. However, in order for me to get full power, I had to use one hand to swing. Not very realistic. Also, timing the swing and button press to strike the ball is a pain because you have to position yourself such that you can swing and see the powerbar at the same time while flipping your arms around. Maybe I'm just not a very good golfer. :)

So, I then started to poke around in the channels. I saw previews for some games that really drew me in, but I didn't react immediately. Although, when Exile made the suggestion to get one of the games, I was sold. Therefore, I bought some credits and downloaded World of Goo and Tetris Party. Exile suggested Goo. Well, it was a good thing that I chose a 3 day weekend to start this adventure because I totally squandered my 3 day vaca. Once I started playing World of Goo, I couldn't stop. By Monday night, I had the game beat with the exception of the OCD challenges and 2 levels that I just couldn't bring myself to find the determination to finish.

So, between very interactive games, fun games, and downloadable games, I can certainly see us getting plenty of use out of our system. I can't speak for Angel, but I will say that Mario Cart and Wii Fit are on my future purchase list.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey man, dont know if your interested in racing games or not but if you are i would recommend the Need For Speed series. Their are currently 2 of them out for Wii. Need For Speed Pro Street and Need For Speed Undercover. i personally like Pro Street better but thats because I have played all the Need For Speed games and Undercover so far closely resembles one of the other versions from a previous system. If you havent played any of the other ones then they are both quality games.

Mom said...

Well son your sister has a the wii fit which is pretty good for me atleast and then she just got a dvd I guess for it that comes from the biggest losser show with Julian and boy does that one kill ya. So if you or Angel would like to do that go for it.
I eventually would like to get the wii fit hopefully when the cost comes down a tad or two. I don't remember which downloadable for the wii fit game but one of our planners here his group did the music for it. When I talk to Corey I will find out and let you know.