Friday, March 7, 2008

Gaming's Godfather

I just discovered some very sad news. One of the co-creators of the gaming genre that I have come to enjoy has passed on. E. Gary Gygax was a name with which I was not previously familiar. Upon perusing my typical comic strips for my latest fix in RPG comedy, this name was presented very reverently. Well, at this time I haven't even finished my comic reading when two of them made distinct references to him. Therefore, I had to find out who this guy was and why he was important.

I'm not going to bore you with the details as to who he was, you can check out the Wikipedia link if you want all of the details. Suffice it to say that he created role playing gaming as we know it today. He co-wrote the predecessor and first couple versions of Dungeons & Dragons. To this I am grateful for his existence and am greatly saddened at his loss.

As being involved in the pursuit of a piece of this genre myself, I think that it is pretty likely that I will one day reap benefits from this market that he loved so much and worked so hard to create.

R.I.P. E. Gary Gygax

I have to say, I love the illustration that was so tastefully created by the guys at Penny Arcade.



A direct quote from the Wiki page on Gary:


Gary Gygax was commemorated in webcomics series xkcd's comic #393 "Ultimate Game", penny arcade's "Bordering On The Semi-Tasteful" and Dork Tower's "Thanks for the Worldbuilding Rules", on Order of the Stick and in GU Comics' "The Journey's End".

No comments: