Saturday, March 8, 2008

Right Place - Right Time

I was made an offer today that was just interesting. Amazing if it turns out to be true, but interesting none-the-less. Ever since completing the component speaker installation in my car, I have been looking into possibly competing in a sound design (quality) competition. I think that the performance of my stereo is noteworthy and I would be interested in entering my car into a competition just to see how it is appraised. Don't get me wrong, the quality of my car is likely not going to be award winning as it is now. The guys that compete in the MECA circuit take their audio very seriously.

I have taken the time to read the rulebook for MECA and don't think I'll place highly at my first go of things. The things they are looking for in the performance of the system are very specific. So specific in fact that I don't think I have enough time, money or proficiency yet to be on their same level.

Let me quantify for a moment as to why I say this. Some of the aspects of the system they are looking for is realistic representation of the sounds being played. They are looking for correct locational representation of the sounds (front, back, left, right, center). Location of the sound is what is called the soundstage. The soundstage is supposed to represent being in the presence of the group to which you are listening. The difficult part of this is the generation of the mid, low mid, and low frequencies. Typically (and in my car) these frequencies are dedicated to the back and trunk speakers. How in the world do you manage to put those sounds in front of the listener? That I don't know and am anxious to find out.

Interestingly enough, one of the things they are looking for (which I do have) is an explanation of the equipment and purpose of the equipment in the system (as you can see from the folowing list).

Once I have my system completely reassembled, my system will comprise of:

  • Speakers:
    • PowerBass Extreme 3XL-6C Component Speakers 3 Ohm set
      • 1.25" tweeter (two)
      • 6" mid range driver (mounted in a Car-Speaker-Adapters.com provided universal 6X9 to 6" adapter - two)
    • Audio Art 3-way 6x9 full range 4 Ohm (two)
    • PowerBass Extreme ES 10Dv.2 Dual 4 Ohm low range (subs)(two) 10" speakers with each coil wired in complete parallel presenting a 1 Ohm load

  • Signal Processing:

  • Interconnects
    • RCAs
    • Power Wires
      • Rapter 4g wire battery to battery w/ 60a fuse link
      • Rapter 0g wire (battery to fused power distribution)
      • Rapter 0g wire (battery to chassis)
      • Lightning Audio 4g OFC wire positive (fused distribution block to class D amp)
      • Rapter 8g OFC positive wire (fused distribution block to class AB amp)
      • Lightning Audio 4g OFC wire negative (both amps to battery)
    • Speaker Wires
      • Speaker wire for sub speakers, Rapter 12g OFC and Rapter 16g OFC
      • Speaker wire for rear speakers, Rapter 12g OFC
      • Speaker wire from 4 channel amp to passive crossovers, Rapter 12g OFC
      • Speaker wire from passive crossovers to speakers, Lightning Audio 15g OFC
    • Other Interconnect Devices
      • Optima Red Top secondary battery
      • Blackmore Blackice IFB-12M Fused Power Distribution Block
      • Mc Laren Sound Systems MLF-80A AFC fuse (two)


On top of all of that equipment, I also have a CompuStar 1W900FMR security system installed with the remote starter (noted because I am driving a 5-speed). A custom built and installed sub box with 1 cu foot of volume per speaker and a rectangle port tuned to 60 hertz (I think, I'll have to double check that one) in conjunction with an amp rack. In reflection, this is a ton of after market equipment in my car. I can't and won't deny this claim. Thankfully, I didn't try doing all of this all at one time. This has been a project in the making for several years and I'm not certain now that my dream design is complete that I'm done.

If the competition bug sticks this time and I take up these MECA Sound Quality competitions, I can see additional equipment in my future. The first two things that come to mind include a massive amount of Dynamat and an external equalizer. I was looking around today at EQs, while I was out, and wasn't able to find anything exciting, however, the prices seemed promising. Although, I was just looking at Kicker and Clarion. I have a feeling when I do find that which I'm looking, it will be higher grade and more expensive.

Anyway, enough about my car. Lets get on with where this story was headed.

Well, regarding the rulebook, I realized that my wiring didn't meet the requirements. There were not any fuses between my secondary battery and my amps. This was not my fault. When TNT installed my custom box, they removed the fuse block that I had in place. I don't know why, but they did. Therefore, if you look at my list above, I have purchased and will be installing a new block & fuses into my car. This purchase is what prompted this discussion.

So, I was doing some online research about the block that I wanted to purchase. During this search I kept finding StreetWires as the manufacturer that created a product hat I could use. Using their dealer search, I found a shop over by our old apartment that might carry what I needed. After making a call to the shop and finding out their hours, I reluctantly made the trip over there. As I had expected, the shop was less than useful for the parts that I needed. However, while I was over in that area, I decided to stop over at a shop that I swore that I wouldn't again patronize.

The last time I went to this shop, the guy running it was so rude that I never wanted to go back there. For instance, I asked them if they carried Crossfire and he said no, but go check at Best Buy to see if they carried it. I wanted to scream. There is no way that Crossfire would ever certify the installation shop for Best Buy to install their equipment. Also, Crossfire is too expensive for the typical shopper to purchase at Best Buy. Crossfire is just too high end. To further my aggravation with this shop, I had inquired about getting my fog lights installed. To my surprise, the guy claimed that they don't get into electrical work. I was floored. It is a stereo shop which is natively electrical. Also, I didn't bother pushing the point because his attitude was so bad, I was done with them.

However, I decided to give this shop another chance and am I glad I did. They had everything that I was looking for today and more. I purchased the 1/0G wire, battery terminal, fused distribution block and fuses from them. While I was there, I got to talking to the guy. I came to find out that he's the owner of the shop. I was asking about any known local competitions though he didn't know of any. I also mentioned my intention of attending one of these competitions in Alabama and apparently the wheels started spinning for him. He also agreed to check out my car. After checking out my trunk (not hearing it) he made me the offer. After hearing my interior 6 speakers he emphasized the offer again.

So, Victor from eXtreme Car Audio (5045E Singleton Rd. Norcross GA 30093) said that he would do some Dynomat work just to put a sticker on my car at a future point in time. If he is serious about doing this that would be some crazy expensive work done on the cheap. I don't know if it will come to being, but only time will tell. Also, I'm not certain the extent that he is willing to Dynomat for me in this deal. Regardless of just the truck or my trunk and interior it will certainly save me some serious dough. With how friendly he is and if he keeps his word, I can certainly see a mutually beneficial partnership here.

Anyway, any future interaction is purely speculation at this time and how "deep" his discounts are will greatly sway what I can and will do with him. I'm not looking to spend another $2k on my car stereo but there are several things I can see myself getting into depending how this comp goes. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the way my system sounds right now, but better is always good. An additional constraint will certainly be the checkbook. More equipment, features, perks, or modifications to my car will all cost money. I have to make sure that we're focusing on our futures before I can play with anything more. My bonus with my re-enlistment with the army will make that decision almost immediately.

Edit: 3/9/2008 5:15 PM
Reorganized the parts inventory and added the Monster RCA cable set.

No comments: