Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fliers at Bruins - Hockey League - Week #11 - Game 10

Well, we've played the Fliers a couple of times by now. I'm sure you can guess at the outcome. Chalk-up another game into the win column for us. Instead of getting into the synopsis of the game and what transpired, I wanted to throw out some information that was noteworthy by my teammates and my game-play recap.

Woods, one of my teammates that plays for The Syndicate. The Syndicate is an AIHL team based out of the arena that we play in. Yes, he is that good. Anyway, he took an opportunity to embarrass the goalie with only a few seconds left in the game to put away the last goal of the game. It was just sickening to watch and I have to give him credit for being able to put the puck in the net in the way he did it. He managed to get a breakaway opportunity and was dekeing as you would expect, but what he did at the end was simply amazing. He faked right, pulled the puck left and put it behind him and took a behind the back, backhand shot thru his legs and beat the goaltender. It was just an amazing feat.

My game-play this week wasn't anywhere in the neighborhood of that stellar performance. However, I did have a revelation this week. With how badly we've been destroying this team on the court, I felt that I should have more puck time. Well, this did happen. However, I wasn't able to accomplish much when I touched the puck. I did managed to get an assist this game, but that was it. Each other time I touched the puck, something stupid would happen. I finally got frustrated with my own game play and decided to channel that energy toward the other team.

I discovered in playing a more physical game, I was getting more opportunity to get my stick on the puck. With getting the stick on the puck more often, that would allow me to be a more productive member of the team. Apparently mental attitude to the game really effects things. I had spent most of the season thinking that I can't stand up to these guys; they are much better than me. However, I didn't realize how much that was effecting my game-play. Therefore, once I started getting physical, this aversion seemed to go away and my involvement increased dramatically.

One other thing happened this night that was new. I managed to play a game and not leave with an injury or with a failure in my equipment. This was a pretty good thing seeing that Monday would bring my first anniversary married to Angel and her mother was visiting. I'm not sure what she would have thought if I would have come home limping or something.

No comments: