Monday, November 12, 2007

P90X Day 1

Well, today was the day. We've begun our workout regimen. This program is exactly what it claims to be. EXTREME! Today's torture workout was composed of two parts. Chest and Back followed by Ab Ripper X.

The DVD's are setup to promote the completion of the program. The way the workouts roll out the setting is one to push yourself, but don't break or hurt yourself. The idea is that each exercise you "Bring it" (your "A" game) however, for those of use that are early in the process a friendly reminder is reiterated several times. "Do what you can and forget the rest."

This thought process is a reassuring way to go from beginner to advanced in as much of a supportive fashion as possible. I can see now that the program is setup as advertised. If you do what they say when they say it, there is no way to fail. The DVD included warm-up and cool down stretches to further promote a safe and effective workout.

Chest & Back is setup with push & pull movements. These include the push-up (5 variations of normal, military, wide, and dive bomber), pull-ups (4 variations of normal forward and reverse and wide forward and reverse), and some weight training moves. It was a complete set of 12 different moves done twice. Very interesting and should prove to retain motivation. This is not like basic in that you are forced to complete the same exercises in a required amount of time regardless of physical ability. This program allows you the freedom to adjust the repetitions to your current physical level. This is a promising aspect of the program. I certainly hope the praise for the layout continues.

As for Ab Ripper X, this was a completely different animal. They jumped straight into several core muscle movements that done at the rate directed is a seriously strenuous task. I am looking forward to the next 90 days where the ease of completion will be easier to find. Today I was pushed hard and then harder. We're to do this exercise 3 days a week for the next month. I hope by then I can complete it at their cadence. That is an impossibility right now.

After doing this 1:11 minute battery of bodily abuse, I am sore. My legs are fine (obviously, they were not the target today), my stomach is doing ok, however, my triceps are absolutely killing me. I'm glad my job only requires me to sit & type all day. I'm not sure how useful my arms will be tomorrow at this point. Furthermore, the P90X recovery formula is certainly the treat that they claim that it is. I am already looking forward to completing tomorrows exercise to I can have more.

There will certainly be more to come. Tomorrow will be Plyometrics (or Jump Training) and I don't have a clue what to expect, but I'm sure it will be EXTREME and fun wrapped in one.

Peace.

No comments: