Saturday, December 15, 2007

I Sprung a Leak

Well, it isn't very often that I have much to report that could be remotely classified as interesting. Tonight, that trend was bucked. I had to go to the hospital. As most of you know, I have a lump on my back. This lump has been there for over 5 years. Recently, this lump has increased in size. I have had 3 doctors previously review what it is and none of them indicated that there should be any reason for concern. I was instructed that if I wanted it to be removed, that it would be for aesthetic purposes only unless it should start to give me problems.

Well, tonight, at about midnight, my first problem has arrived. I had to work late tonight. There was some change going into our web environment and I was tasked to validate that the changes were successful. Also, following this validation, I was charged with backing up an application. Therefore, I knew that I would be spending some additional time regarding work tonight.

So, about the time that we completed the validation of the web changes and before I started the application backup, I had a sharp pain hit me in the back in the area of my lump. I didn't know what to think of it, but as a normal reaction, I reached back to see what was going on there. I didn't even get my hand 1/2 way up my back when I started to notice there was a liquid flowing down my side.

I head to the bathroom and take off my shirt. Once topless, I could see what was going on. My lump ruptured. I didn't think much of this at first. Then, since there was a hole in it anyway, I squeezed it like a zit, but softly at first. Well, it didn't take much pressure to get a response. A thick white substance began to emerge from the lump. This wasn't like the core of a zit though. This was soft and pliable. And it had a serious odor to it, like the offensive type.

Since the lump is in a difficult place to reach on my back, I decided to get Angel to help me with the extraction of the material from my back. Now, I was doing the squeezing and she was catching what she could in a hand towel. I thought this was a good idea for a couple of reasons. #1. it was better than flinging this stuff on the floor and #2. I didn't want to spray the walls with it either. At one point, when we were getting to the point that it was starting to reduce to nothing, I had her put the towel down and squeeze. Some of this white stuff flew right past her head. It was comical.

Anyway, not long thereafter, as I would squeeze, I was starting to get blood. At this time I was in need of help. My neck was getting sore from trying to bend and twist so I was comfortable and could see what I was doing and the lump was starting to move around where I would have needed 2 hands to get adequate pressure around it to extract more of this substance. I asked Angel to help but, she didn't feel comfortable with that idea. Therefore, we headed to the hospital to get professional assistance.

To expedite the conversation, just be sure to understand that I was not an urgent patient and therefore sat for some considerable period of time to be treated by the Dr. Anyway, once he had time for me, he numbed me up, cut the lump and extracted the remaining substance from the area. However, there is still a fatty lesion remaining that a general surgeon will be needed to remove completely/properly.

Therefore, I think it will be just a matter of time until I am free of this thing and for those of you (mother) that are worried about the fact that it is growing, relax, it just shrank and did so considerably.

I did find it funny that the Dr. prescribed me an antibiotic AND Vicodin. Really, I understand the antibiotic. He doesn't want it to become infected again, especially since it was left open to drain. However, the Vicodin came as a surprise. How much pain can this thing really put me in? I don't expect too much pain. Although, I might be surprised. I should know in a few hours once the local anestesia wears off.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

No comments: