Monday, December 10, 2007

Metallica Documentary: Some Kind of Monster

So, yesterday we were at the local mall, Discover Mills, doing our Christmas shopping. One of the stores we were poking around in was FYE. In our casual browsing of the titles, we came across the Metallica Documentary: Some Kind of Monster. This title was available used for only $10. I just couldn't pass it up. I had heard great things about it and I had to finally see it for myself and at that price, the timing was perfect. Being a Metallica fan, even after Load, Reload, and their negative publicity regarding Napster, once we got home I had to pop it in.

I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know if this was some sort of Rockumentary (like MTV or VH1 used to produce) or a movie regarding something that the band had conjured in their minds, but a review of the entire recording process for St. Anger had not popped into my head.

This movie was deep. The side of Metallica that was portrayed was moving and new. Metallica for me has always appeared to be a band that somehow creates great music and work in harmony. I am not saying that they never had to face adversity, because some of it is well known. Such as the tragic accident that claimed Cliff Burton's life or the severe burns that James Hetfield received from on-stage pyrotechnics, but the interpersonal issues that they have was incredible to see.

I think the movie kind of shattered my vision of what being Metallica actually means, however, it certainly humanized the band. Everything is not easy and perfect for them. I have learned that they have control issues, communication issues, and all of the other aspects of working closely with people for a long period of time tends to bring about.

I do have to say though, seeing Lars and James with kids is odd. I can't imagine growing up with a parent that is in a rock band, but to be in Metallica is just amazing. What do you say to your classmates when you talk about your parents? Yeah, my dad is the singer/drummer/guitar player in Metallica. Then, with their age, the question would become, who in the hell is Metallica? It is a shame and maybe I'm thinking that I'm one of too few, but how many kids in k-5 that will have been exposed to them? I know my kids will be, but really, how many are?

Also, watching this film has really allowed me to see how they are aging. Being as iconic as they are, it is hard to accept that they are getting old. James is even showing grays. It is a tough pill to swallow. I know that James cutting his hair was a drastic move, but I like to think of him pre-Load with the long hair that is so iconic of the time that they originated.

It has been quite a while since I have listened to the disk. I forgot how much I enjoyed many of the songs on it. They might not be "traditional Metallica", but it is certainly Metallica none-the-less.

This period of insite into what is Metallica really got me to start thinking. How old is St. Anger? What is going on in Metallica land? Well, I had to check on this. I hit up their website and found that supposedly they are working on a new disk. There are no details regarding this work and I'm not even certain by the way the post was phrased if they are even working on one. However, I would like to think that they are working on one. I think it is about time to get some new Metallica in our hands. Think about it, they have recently accepted a new bassist, I know I'm anxious to see what he has to contribute to a new disk.

Overall, this 2 hour movie certainly helped to increase my appreciation for their latest disk, St. Anger.

Hail Metallica. \m/ Rock on!

No comments: