Monday, November 19, 2007

NWN 2 (continued)

Well, I put in some long playing time into NWN2 yesterday. I played from about 1 PM to 1 AM with some minor interruptions along the way (like work stuff). Anyway, I was finding the story enjoyable up until the point of my arrival to Neverwinter.

Once again, one of the districts of Neverwinter are closed down for some reason or other. You have a decision to make regarding how to obtain access to said area, in the same fashion as in NWN1. Last time it was a plague, this time it is because a noble had been killed. WTF? Of all of the puzzles that could have been created, why repeat one that is going to require so much time and effort that had already played out in NWN1?

I think the player/companion interaction is more interesting in this version. I don't know if it is because it was a new concept in NWN1 that I didn't enjoy it as much or because of how they implemented it this time. For example, the teifling in the group has a bounty on her head and you have to assist her with getting it removed or be subject to random attacks within the city along the way.

Thus far, there has only been one mission that I have accepted that I can't complete. I can't seem to manage how to get one of the crypts open in the graveyard. I am pretty sure that I have exhausted every obvious attempt at getting one of the three doors (Outside door and 2 doors that are guard jail cells in another). I've moved on from this mission, but there are 3 poor soldiers stuck in that graveyard somewhere. Maybe I'll look for a spoiler instruction set somewhere online. However, I have found those to be a slippery slope. Once you start using them, you keep going back to it. I don't want to do that yet. It is way too early in the game.

I was happy to see that acquiring companions has been done in a different setting. Instead of them just happening to be in a tavern looking for work, you can choose to assist them or not in their "time of need" and even then you can either accept or reject them from the party. Also, the story begins with a journey to the city. If I recall last time, you started in the city and had to figure out what the hell was going on. However, it has been so long since I played NWN1, I don't recall. All be told, so far, the game seems to be keeping my attention and I'm enjoying it (graphics issues or not).

One thing I was quite disappointed to see is that one of the gameplay rules have been omitted from the previous version of the game. There doesn't seem to be any reaction from anyone if you are walking thru a town or fort or where ever with weapons drawn. I thought that was an obvious role playing standard. If you look hostile then people will treat you as such. However, even in the city of Neverwinter, the guards do not have a reaction to you talking with them while brandishing your weapon. Seems sorta light to me. I know that if someone walked into my neighborhood carrying a sword, axe, hammer, etc. I would treat them differently than if it were concealed or stowed rather than in hand.

Just my .02.

No comments: