Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bruins at Torhs - Hockey League - Week #10 - Game 9

Here we go again, playing the best team in the league. However, this week, we managed to get lucky. The Torhs goaltender was MIA. They recruited another tender to stand in, but this really put them at a disadvantage. If you recall, each time we've been pitted against this team, we've put up quite a fight.

The absent goaltender was just the edge that we needed. Contrary to what the SGAAsports.com website indicates, we did beat the Torhs. And it wasn't just by a last minute goal either. We won by 3 points.

Much of this game remains a blur. It was just amazing. We made the first strike, then we extended our lead, and at one point, we had the Torhs sitting at a 3-0 deficit. I don't think this team is used to being on the losing side of the scoreboard. To eventually take this game to a win was not by any means simple. I can recall sitting thru several shifts. This game was just going to well and I was not responding as fast as the other members of the team when players needed relief. Don't get me wrong, I got playing time, but not as much as most of the other members of the team. I can remember at one point when the score was tied that our scoring line stayed on the court for three straight shifts. No one wanted them to come off of the court, including them. Although, you could see that they were getting winded, you could see that they'd been out there too long, but they were not giving up. They were still scoring goals and were able to fend off the Torhs from taking the lead. I cannot recall a single time when they had the upper hand.

There was one point in the game that I do want to mention. Midway thru the third period, I got to take a shift and after a single, short play, I was pulled off of the court. This was not the first time this had happened during this game. After being the third or so time that this had occurred, I was finally frustrated enough to say something about it. I rolled over to Joel and asked him what was going on, why was I pulled? He said that he wanted to win at all costs and that he pulled me when the Torhs most dangerous player reentered the play. Therefore, he wanted a stronger player to take him head on. I wasn't pleased about the call, but with a chance to defeat the only undefeated team in the league, I was able to let it go.

My game play really didn't contain anything worth mentioning. I didn't do anything exceptional, right or wrong. The only thing that I can vaguely recall was a stand-up defensive play in the neutral zone that generated yells from the bench. I recall colliding head on with an offensive player and managed to not only not hit the floor, but managed to acquire the puck and get it to another teammate to reverse the play's momentum.

After this game was over, I had quite a serious pain in my shoulder. I was having issues lifting my right arm parallel with my shoulder and other type movements. The pain wasn't caused explicitly under weight, it would show up empty handed also. Well, I managed to tolerate the pain for just a few days and then it left just as suddenly as it started. I am not certain that this was hockey related because I think there was a morning that I woke up with the same sort of pain, but I can't remember what day it was. For all I can remember, it could have been a figment of my imagination. Anyway, as I'm sure you can infer, I can't recall what caused the injury. I'm just glad that it wasn't so serious that it didn't impede my ability to execute my Army duty that followed on the next three days.

No comments: