Friday, October 10, 2008

Our Trip Home

As many of you know, Bob and I had made a trip up to the Burg a few weeks ago. And I do apologize to those we couldn't get together with. It was just a whirlwind of a weekend as much of them seem to be starting to become lately.

I can't speak for Bob but I know that for myself I was really looking forward to having a few days off. It isn't often that I take time off from work. I was really starting to feel the need for some vacation time. Well, the time that we had at home was much more relaxing for Bob than it was for me.

Our time home started out with me heading to a court hearing with my parents. Granted I didn't need to be there but, I wanted to be there for moral support for my sister-in-law; stressful mind you. I haven't seen my brother in a year and haven't talked to him in the same length of time. So, I wasn't sure how this was going to go with him and then seeing his new girlfriend for the first time. To top the day off, I got a parking ticket while we were there. Fortunately, my Mom was with me and fought it. The ticket went away and we continued on our merry way. We had a family get together that evening which was wonderful. I love how loud the house gets with all the kids being together (one of the things that I do truly miss).

Unfortunately one of the neighbors passed away. Mom and I went to a funeral on Friday. She was a really sweet lady that always made sure that she at least said hello to you. She always had a smile on her face and that's how I'll always remember her.

Bob and I went to the rehearsal dinner for one of our friends weddings. It was great to spend time with the bride and groom before the day of the wedding. Then Bob and I went out afterwards and ran into one of his old friends. So it made it a great ending of a fun evening.

Saturday Bob and I attempted to attend the ceremony but because of different circumstances we missed it. But, we did go to the reception at the zoo which was fun. It wasn't what we were thinking that it would be for the type of environment. Think about it; a wedding reception at the zoo. We were both thinking that we would probably be walking around and being able to see the animals. Quite the contrary, it was a typical reception with no walking around the zoo at all. The area was covered by a huge tent. A dance floor in the middle and buildings close by for restrooms and things like that.

With how the week was for me it was great to have a fun filled evening and being able to relax. When we left we got into a car accident. Which infuriated me. It was my car that Bob was driving and this teenager, by the way it sounded, was going to run the light until he saw us pulling out. He slammed on the brakes with the roads being wet, slid through the intersection and into my front bumper. Thank God that Bob inched out. Anyone that knows Bob, knows that this typically isn't like him at all. If it wasn't for that little thing, we would have been hit driver side tire, if we were lucky. This would have caused us to not be able to drive home. I jumped out of the vehicle and made sure that everyone in the other car was fine. After that I yelled at this kid to just get off the road. My main concern at that point was other people doing the same thing and causing more damage. At this point, I knew that my car was drivable to get home and I wanted to keep it that way.

I now have a new front bumper but, I was not happy that on our first anniversary I had to go driving around and get estimates for it. His parents paid us out of pocket for the damage to my vehicle. Yes, I knew, and still know, that I would have had every right to chew the kid out. But, seeing how he was acting and how his father was treating him, it was clear that he wouldn't hear the end of it for a while. So, why make things worse then they are? By the way it sounds, this kid will be taking the bus everywhere for a long time.

By time Bob and I got back to my parents house he had looked at me and said that I needed a vacation from my vacation. I felt the same way. I told him that the way the week was going for me why not add this accident into the whole mix.

I will admit that I'm really looking forward to our next trip home at the end of this month, knowing that it won't be nearly as stressful as last time.

No comments: